In simple context, the Counseling is a scientific assistance giving to someone to solve the problem by himself or herself. Furthermore, it is an exercise, a deliberate effort and a plan with a Positive human interaction. There are many experts who defined the term “counseling”. But this is for your awareness, and no need to get a huge stress on it.
Is counseling for mad people?
Absolutely not! First of all we should understand that anyone at any time can have this service. It does not mean that he or she is a “mad guy”. So never look down on someone who receives counseling.
To whom ?
The counseling is needed for an individual, family or group of people when their efforts to deal with their problems are no longer effective. They need someone’s help to cure their performance related problems. Those may be personal, social, or psychological issues such as emotional, educational, occupational and so forth. So with the target of empowering above individual, family, or a group of people to fulfill their mental health, education, and career goals, a counselor works. This counseling process inevitably leads to the personal development of the client.
Do not confuse “Counseling” with “advice giving” . There is a big difference between a professional counsellor and a person who uses some counselling skills as part of their role to give advices. For example, when your friend is sick or failing an exam, you can talk to him and adjust. There, we may be judgemental. We suggest a solution according to our vision and our own value system. It is just an advise. We already mentioned that Counseling is a science (scientific assistance) as well as an art (humanity) in which a purposeful conversation takes place between two people (two parties) with the hope of finding practical solutions to the above problems. Nobody gets negative impact of having counseling.
Why is Counseling important?
- Counseling empowers the clients to help themselves.
- It is done according to a systematic scientific process. So the client is more beneficiary of the service he receives.
- Cures many performances related problems such as stress, extreme pressure, poor quality of work, etc.
- As counseling is a systematic scientific process, it is very cost effective way of preventing disasters to take place.
- It always responses to a crisis.
- Counseling is a long-term development process, It improves client trust level, developing leadership skills and more other positive qualities
- In today’s highly competitive and dynamic business environment, counseling is unavoidable. (For this reason it is justified to include counseling as an essential part of the work culture of any organization anywhere in the world.
What Issues Does Counseling Address?
- Stress management
- managing emotions (anger, Grief, happiness)
- Alcohol Addiction and usage of Other Drugs
- Thoughts of suicide
- Adjustment issues such as school and university life.
- issues in Communication (others do not listen to the person)
- Gender and sexual issues
- Relationship difficulties, violence and abuse
what qualities should a good counsellor has?
- Confidentiality is the first and foremost thing. Because some people do not want others to know that he is getting counseling. So a good counsellor is always prioritize client’s privacy.
- Listen effectively. (If it is a family or marriage counseling, the counselor should pay equal attention and listen to each parties alike.)
- Smooth attention and awareness of client’s body language.
- Empathy and understanding
- Counselor should be with a non – judgemental attitude. He cannot guess about the client until the client delivers his every single thought.
- Ability to deal with emotional situations
- Be patient and calm. The client may be more affected by the issue he faced. so it may be difficult to deliver and, if he is the “best counsellor”, he will “break the iceberg” patiently.
- Ability to connect and adapt to a wide range of communication styles for vary of people.
- Traumatic feeling – A counselor must develop A “tragic feeling in life” to involve in a client’s problem. Because this helps the counsellor to be humble and full of humanity. But he should maintain the professional distance.
When talking on counseling, understand that it has a broad scope. We so far know many key factors about what it is? What it is for? To whom it should be done? Qualities of a good counsellor and more. But there are so much more to know. Let’s meet with another article to make you knowledgeable with this topic. Keep in mind! Counseling is not for mad people and it is available for anyone.